20 April 2014

Easter Wings

        
                             Lord, Who createdst man in wealth and store,
                                    Though foolishly he lost the same,
                                         Decaying more and more,
                                                 Till he became
                                                   Most poore:
                                                   With Thee
                                                O let me rise,
                                        As larks, harmoniously,
                                   And sing this day Thy victories:
                            Then shall the fall further the flight in me.
                            My tender age in sorrow did beginne;
                                  And still with sicknesses and shame
                                       Thou didst so punish sinne,
                                                 That I became
                                                  Most thinne.
                                                  With Thee
                                               Let me combine,
                                    And feel this day Thy victorie;
                                 For, if I imp my wing on Thine,
                             Affliction shall advance the flight in me.


                                  by George Herbert (1593–1633)









No comments:

Post a Comment

No Anonymous comments, please.