16 March 2014

It takes talent to live at night

          

SONG

         by Frank Bidart


You know that it is there, lair
where the bear ceases
for a time even to exist.

Crawl in. You have at last killed
enough and eaten enough to be fat
enough to cease for a time to exist.

Crawl in. It takes talent to live at night, and scorning
others you had that talent, but now you sniff
the season when you must cease to exist.

Crawl in. Whatever for good or ill
grows within you needs
you for a time to cease to exist.

It is not raining inside
tonight. You know that it is there. Crawl in.



THE YOKE
            by Frank Bidart

don't worry           I know you're dead
but tonight

Turn your face again
toward me

when I hear your voice there is now
no direction in which to turn

I sleep and wake and sleep and wake and sleep and wake and

but tonight
turn your face again

toward me

see     upon my shoulders is the yoke
that is not a yoke

don't worry            I know you're dead
but tonight

turn your face again  










No comments:

Post a Comment

No Anonymous comments, please.